Třebíč - Myslibořice

Třebíč - Myslibořice

Třebíč is situated in the southeast of the Vysočina Region. In the south we can find the Jevišovice Upland with national parks of Třebíčsko, Pojihlaví and Rokytno. With its nearly 39,000 inhabitants, Třebíč is the second largest town of the Vysočina Region. It neighbours on the towns of Velké Meziříčí and Náměšť nad Oslavou. The town of Třebíč was founded in 1277 on the river Jihlava and fortified in 1355. At the same time a Jewish settlement (the Old Jewish Quarter) formed on the left river bank.

In 1101 a Benedictine Monastery was founded in Třebíč by the Přemyslid princes. In the following centuries the town suffered a lot of war hardship: it was conquered by Hussite and emperor’s forces and in 1468 the town including the monastery was destroyed by the forces of Matthias Corvinus of Hungary. The monastery was abolished and after 1525 it was in posession of nobility. In the late 16th century, during the great cultural and economic development of the town, it was remodelled as a Rennaisance style chateau. At that time the Unity of Brethren and Lutheran confession Protestants had a significant position in Třebíč. That was during the reign of the Žerotíns who, however, were for their views forced to leave the country in 1629. The Třebíč domain came into the posession of the Wallensteins. In the 17th and 18th centuries the town was struck by a number of fires, epidemics and floods. In the 19th century it revived and slowly started to develop: various cultural institutions and clubs were founded, and the National House was built. In 1886 the railway traffic was introduced in Třebíč, which accelerated the economic growth. Even before that drapery and tannery had prospered well in Třebíč. The latter expanded especially in the early 20th century when in Třebíč-Borovina a shoe manufactory and workers’ semi-detached houses were built according to the fashion of Baťa works. During World War II the Jewish inhabitants were expelled and the town was occupied by German forces. After the war, the housing development and the population increase were caused mainly by the construction of the nuclear power plant in nearby Dukovany.

The historical part of the town is situated on the right bank of the Jihlava River. On the Charles Square which ranks among the biggest in the Czech Republic, we can find a statue of Cyril and Metoděj. One of the most significant monumets in Třebíč, however, is the Basilica of St. Procopius built in 1260 in the place of the former Benedictine monastery, which in European context represents a unique example of combination of Romanesque and Gothic styles. In the 17th century it was reconstructed by architect Kaňka, including the Baroque-Gothic arch. The abbey chapel with precious frescos and the subterraneous crypt are also invaluable. In 2003 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List together with the Jewish quarter, an outstanding testimony of Jewish culture in Moravia. In Třebíč we can also visit numerous other interesting historical monuments.

The following denominations operate in Třebíč: the Roman Catholic Church, the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren (ECCB), the Unity of Brethren and the Orthodox Church which owns the Church of St. Wenceslas and Ludmila built in 1940.

The ECCB congregation was originally a preaching station of Horní Vilémovice congregation. It was established – also due to the conversion movement – in 1920, after the foundation of the ECCB. The church was, however, built already in 1909–910 by architect Josef Zlatohlávek from Záhřeb. It is in a Neo-Classicist style with a rectangle tower at the frontal side. There is a chalice above the entrance. The rectory was built in 1928 and today it serves as a congregation house with all premises necessary for church activities.

Not far from Třebíč, there is the Myslibořice chateau, built in early 18th century. In 1760 it was owned by Rudolf Chytek, the chancellor of the Kingdom of Bohemia. In 1921 it was bought by the state, since 1928 it has been and on and off in posession of the ECCB. Today it houses Diaconia Centre of the ECCB and serves as a home for the elderly and people with special needs.