The municipality of Soběhrdy with less than 400 inhabitants lies northeast of Benešov at an altitude of 409 metres above sea level. The first record dating back to 1360 mentions a fortress belonging to a family of Čeněk Velík from Soběhrdy. It was however destroyed long time ago.
Ever since the Hussite times the history of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren (ECCB) congregation in Soběhrdy has been connected with the town of Benešov and its Reformation past. Benešov was a Hussite town uniterruptedly from 1424 to 1624. In the 16th century there was also the Unity of Brethren congregation. A similar situation applied to Soběhrdy and its surroundings. The Protestant tradition was very strong there. It even outlived the difficult times after the Battle of the White Mountain when Czech Brethren preachers were expelled; the Protestants used to meet secretly in the gorges under the Kačí Hill.
Soon after the Toleration Patent in 1781 several families espoused to Helvetian confession. A congregation was founded with the arrival of the first Hungarian minister S. Galambosy. In May 1786 a construction of a house of prayer started and the first service took place a year later on the 3rd November 1787. A school was built already in 1785 but the rectory was not in service until 1815.
Since the original house of prayer was delapidated, a new stone Neo-Classicist one was built in 1832. It was later repaired and rebuilt in 1909 by M. Blecha. A new apse was added and later also a Biedermeier style rectangle tower designed by a famous architect E. Králíček was erected. A covered staircase was also added to the growing building. In 1910 three bells were put into the tower. Today the church is painted white inside and in the apse there is a pulpit with the Lord’s table in front.
After the foundation of the ECCB in 1918 the Soběhrdy congregation grew enormously due to a conversion movement and was one of the biggest in the Church at that time. A former preaching station in Benešov became an independent congregation in 1925. Its members devote their time to congregation activities and conscientiously care for the church as well as the other buildings.
Even today the Soběhrdy congregation district is quite large. Its members attend community activities and maintain the church as well as the other buildings.