The market town of Sněžné (formerly Německé) is with its nearly 800 inhabitants situated in a protected landscape area of the Žďár Hills, 680 m above sea level. The foundation of Sněžné is connected with the colonization effort of the 13th and 14th centuries. The first written record dates back to 1335. The domain was partly owned by the noblemen of Pernštejn and partly by the Cistercian monastery in Žďár nad Sázavou. People made a living by weaving as the soil was not very fertile. There were also iron mines and several glassworks. The so-called welcoming goblet of the Pernštejns dating back to 1585, made in Vříšť glassworks, has been preserved even up to now. Later, in the 18th century, this region was affected mainly by the development of ferrous metallurgy.
The former Church of St. Catherine built in 1625 was destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War. In the middle of the 18th century the Church of the True Cross was built in Sněžné. The town started to grow and develop in the 19th and 20th centuries. The beautiful landscape of Sněžné and its environs lured artists and poets, such as František Halas, Ludvík Kundera and Miloslav Bureš. In 1925 the memorial of Czech Reformation by Julius Pelikán was erected on the square in Sněžné. It depicts T. G. Masaryk, Jan Hus, Jan Žizka and J. A. Komenský.
Sněžné and its environs has always been Protestant. The counter-Reformation was here as tough as in the rest of the Vysočina Region. After the declaration of the Toleration Patent, the whole families or even villages joined the Reformed confession. The congregation was founded in 1784. The first preacher came from the Kingdom of Hungary. The construction of the house of prayer started in 1788. It was small and modest. In the middle of the 19th century it could not accommodate its needs any more so it was rebuilt. It grew higher and longer; a tower was added and a small apse was made opposite; the shape of the originally rectangle windows changed to semi-circle at the top. The organ was installed in 1937. The former rectory remained in service 110 years. In 1898 it was replaced by a new building which has been in use ever since.
The war times were hard in Snežné. The congregation members often helped partisans. The communist regime then brought – apart from other hardship – difficult years of collectivization. The relief did not come until 1989. The church interior was refurbished in 1994 by Ostrava designer Daniel Balabán. The Protestant church in Sněžné has always been an impressive dominant of the town and the whole area.