A town of Polička (554 metres above sea level; over 9,000 inhabitants) is used to be called the entrance gate into the protected landscape areas of the Žďár Hills. In 1265 Přemysl Otakar II founded Polička at then significant Trstenická Trail. Since 1305 it was a dowry town of the Czech queens. Early Gothic St. James’s Church was founded at the end of the 12th century. It however suffered by many fires which affected Polička during the centuries. It had to be demolished after a devastating fire in 1835; in the 1860s it was again built in the Neo-Gothic style according to František Schmoranz’s design. Sculptor Václav Levý made St. James’s altar statue. The medieval fortification around the whole town has been preserved until now. St. Michael’s Church and a prismatic belfry in the cemetery come from the Renaissance period.
In the following centuries wars and fires were devastating the town. In the 18th century, in the Baroque period the town started to develop. The Baroque town hall with a Gothic tower from the 15th century is very valuable. There is St. Mary’s column from the first half of the 18th century on the square.
In the 19th and the 20th centuries club life became to develop. Famous Polička native, composer Bohuslav Martinů was born in a small sitting-room in the tower of St. James’ Church on the 8th of December 1890. He is buried at the local cemetery.
The year 1989 brought new impulses for development of Polička. The historical centre of the town is a Historic Town Zone.
Many secret Protestants used to gather in the surroundings of Polička. After the declaration of the Toleration Patent there was however only one person in Polička itself who officially professed a Reformed faith. Number of the Protestants was rising with the development of the town. In 1890 a branch congregation was established here and joined the Reformed congregation in Telecí. Later in 1915 it joined the congregation in Borová which was easier to reach by newly built railway. In the 1930s many new members were coming and the house with a house of prayer which was bought in 1899 was not sufficient anymore. The congregation owned building site from long time ago but the construction of the church began as late as in the year 1936. According to Prague architect Bohumír Kozák’s design, Polička builder Josef Mach built a spacious pure functionalist building with a prominent square tower with a chalice on it. A broad staircase leads to the entrance door of the church. Inside we will find apart from the worship hall also rooms for meetings of the seniors as well as rooms for the activity of children and youth. On the 6th of July 1937, in a day of Master Jan Hus’ anniversary, during the ceremonial worship the church was handed over for using by a former Synodical Senior Josef Souček.
The war years were very hard for the Polička congregation. After the war new inhabitants began to come to Polička. Many Protestants were among them, too. In 1946 an independent congregation of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren (ECCB) was established in Polička. In the following years a rectory was added to the church. Despite later disfavour of the regime, the congregation lived on and its members took care of not only the spiritual growth but they also look after their church which is an example of the building serving various activities of the live congregation.