Near Žamberk, in the eastern part of the Orlické Mountains, a small village of Kunvald with just over 1,000 inhabitants lies at an altitude of 445 metres. It was founded in the second half of the 13th century, the first written record comes from 1363 and the road from Bohemia to Silesia and Glacensis led here. From 1389 it belonged to Litice domain. Kunvald has a great historical significance for the Protestants. A religious group which separated from both the Catholic Church and the Utraquist Church took refuge in Litice domain which belonged to George of Poděbrady. Members of this religious group inclined to the teaching of Peter Chelčický and wanted to live exclusively according to the Gospel.
The Unity of Brethren was founded in Kunvald in 1458 and its undeniable historical significance applies to these days. The Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren bought a house called ”At the Congregation” in 1929. There is a monument of the Unity of Brethren and of the last bishop J. A. Komenský in this house. His statue was built in the vicinity of the house already in 1910.
Near Kunvald there is a place called Praying Valley. This is where members of the Unity of Brethren took refuge in times of persecution. A road to the valley leads through so called Bethlehem, a part of Kunvald where most of the members used to live. There is a lime tree called the ”Lime of Brethren,” which is estimated to be 450 years old and is considered a relic of the Unity of Brethren. It is said that the tree was planted during the forced departure of the Czech Brethren from their homeland in 1547 – 1548.