Krouna (560 metres above sea level) is a village in the Pardubice Region, has around 1,400 inhabitants, lies in the northern edge of the protected landscape area of the Žďár Hills. If you drive from Hlinsko to Polička, you will see a large church on the left hand side of the road. This church belonged to a Protestant congregation in Krouna which, after the declaration of the Toleration Patent in 1781, was founded here as the first Reformed congregation in Bohemia. The earliest record of the village is from 1349 when its joining to the Litomyšl bishopric was discussed.

Krouna spreads around the Krounka brook and there are some important monuments of folk architecture still preserved, such as Bukáček‘s farm which dates back to the beginning of the 19th century. The residents were mainly farmers; but there was also a lot of forestry work. It was common that people wove and embroidered at home. The famous production of painted wooden toys is still undertaken.

The Catholic Church of St. Michael the Archangel was built in the second half of the 18th century and replaced a Gothic church built in 1350. In the church a valuable font from the 16th century was preserved. Among the famous natives of Krouna is the inventor, František Křižík. The writer Tereza Nováková favoured this region and drew inspiration for her work from here.

The foundation of the Protestant congregation in Krouna was supported by the then owner of the Rychmburk domain, Count Philip Kinský. Protestants began to gather secretly here in large numbers. The Count arranged the arrival of the Reformed priest, František Kovacs from Hungary and the first sermon was held in the barn ”U Šimonů” in September 1783.

Then toleration houses of prayer grew rapidly. Construction of a house of prayer in Krouna began in April 1784; was completed in May and on the 18th of July the first divine service was held here. The original house of prayer has served for ninety years.

In 1874 it was decided to build a new church. Construction, however, cost more than expected because it was built on a swampy terrain which had to be strengthened and drained. A three nave church with 52 metres high tower (both designed in a historicist style by František Schmoranz) was built. The construction was completed in 1878. The church interior is simple but impressive. In the apse there is beautifully carved Lord‘s table and a decorated pulpit, both the work of author and carver J. Podstata. A valuable two manual, concert organ, made by Josef Prediger of Albrechtsdorf, is situated in the gallery. The church is listed as a state protected monument.

The rectory was often rebuilt and the last time it was rebuilt in a Neo-Renaissance style at the beginning of the 20th century. The designer was the Viennese architect Josef Zlatohlávek. The rectory serves the congregation in its present form until now.

After 1918, the congregation got new members thanks to the conversion movement. The congregation was badly affected by the war years: the then rector Karel Anderle and his wife were imprisoned and he could continue his work only after the liberation of the Republic. The year 1989 brought new impetus not only to the congregation but to the whole community. In nearby Skuteč there is a preaching station of the congregation in so called “Tomášek‘s house” which was the birthplace of the composer J. V. Tomášek. The congregation bought the house in 1988 and therein established a house of prayer.

The congregation of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren in Svratouch will be connected to Krouna congregation in January 2011. The church in Svratouch was built in 1784 as a toleration house of prayer; it was rebuilt in an Art Noveau style in 1912 and a tower was later added to the building. Children and young people stay in the nearby rectory during the summer months.