Klobouky u Brna is located in the valley of the Klobouky Brook, in a pleasant, slightly downy countryside of vineyards, fields and extensive forests, 228 metres above sea level, with the population of 2,200 people, many of them commuting to Brno, 30 km distant from here.
The place was first mentioned in the late 12th century. In 1298, it was raised from the village to a small town by Václav I. There is a Renaissance castle here dating back to the late 16th century, later rebuilt in a Baroque style, nowadays a town museum and an office of the village administration. The Roman Catholic church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The Baroque chapel of St. Barbara was built in 1669.
Evangelicalism has had an unshakable tradition in Klobouky and its neighbourhood. Protestants used to be a majority here in the 16th and 17th century, later, after the Battle of the White Mountain, the situation changed violently, their ancestors’ belief, though, was not been eradicated completely and soon, after the Toleration Patent was issued, first families chose a reformed confession. The congregation was established in 1782. The first gatherings were held in a barn and it was very difficult to find a place for a house of prayer. Eventually, in 1786, the emperor provided the Protestants of Klobouky with building where barrels were made (it was called ”a coopery“) to change it into the first chapel which was not – despite numerous adjustments – very convenient.
When issued, the Protestant Patent brought religious relief. People in Klobouky dealt with the new situation in their own way: first they built a brick tower in 1861. Their decision to build a church did not come until 1882 when the foundation stone was laid. The Neo-Classicist church, built according to Antonín Strnad’s architectural plan, was annexed to the front tower. The church was consecrated on the 4th of November 1883. Its front wall with the Lord’s table, pulpit and choir loft with a valuable organ draws attention immediately. The combination of wooden and metal units (cast-iron columns carrying longitudinal galleries, circular stairs to the choir lofts, ornamental railings etc.) is very interesting, too. Experts mention an unusual construction of a vaulted ceiling and a walled-up steel frame.
The ornamental wall of window-panes with Biblical motives situated under the gallery at the entrance has a very attractive design and helps make the place warmer.
Along with the church also the rectory was built and it still serves until now. In 1990, the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren decided to build “the Bethlehem“, a centre of their Diaconia near the church. The centre was made in a house which was returned to the congregation in a restitution. Brumovice, one of the preaching stations of the Klobouky congregation, is a place where members of the Unity of Brethren lived in the 16th century and where Jan Herben, a writer, was born.
One of the most famous members of the Kloubouky congregation was Dr. Ferdinand Císař, a rector and later superintendent who used to host T. G. Masaryk who was persuaded by the emperor to join the reformed church. In 2008, the Klobouky concregation celebrated the 125th anniversary of their church construction.