Javorník na Veličkou

Javorník na Veličkou

At the edge of the protected landscape area of the White Carpathians, south of Velká nad Veličkou, there lies Javorník nad Veličkou, a municipality of the Horňácko Region (345 metres above sea level, 726 inhabitants). The name of the village is said to be derived from a word “maple trees” which used to be found here in a big number. The first record of the municipality dates back to the year 1350. According to the preserved records, in the 16th century almost the whole municipality was Protestant. The big fire in the year 1856 destroyed also the Protestant church. The municipality was as well affected by the floods and war events. Nowadays, Javorník is a place with a long and still alive tradition of folk art. The embroideries and local costumes are particularly amazing. We will also find here typical buildings in the place called “Kopánky“ as well as nice old haylofts.

A nearby hill of Hradisko (636 metres) used to be a fort at the end of the first millenium-nowadays, there are only ramparts which remained. A National natural reservation Jazevčí is also worth mentioning-it is a unique meadow complex with rare kinds of plants. In the year 2009 a look-out tower Drahy was built on the base of a common Czech-Slovak project supported by the European Union which is located in the area of the White Carpathians and is 20 metres high.

The Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren congregation in Javorník nad Veličkou has kept its intact Czech Brethren tradition from the Reformation period. At the end of the 15th century the Czech Brethren established their congregations here and in a nearby Hrubá Vrbka. In Velká nad Veličkou there was also a congregation and a Brethren house. After the Battle of the White Mountain in 1620 there was an intensive persecution of the non-Catholics also in this area.Majtán’s mill in Javorník was a place where the Protestants had their secret meetings. The Toleration Patent was accepted with a big pleasure. The inhabitants of Javorník joined the Reformed confession; after the arrival of preacher Štěpán Breznay, in the year 1782 the congregation was established and already on the 27th of July 1783 a house of prayer was consecrated. A typical toleration house of prayer without a tower was equipped with a pulpit, Lord’s table and benches in rows around it. This equipment was in the line with the customs of the Reformed confession.

Unusual but typical decoration of the house of prayer is a cover of the Lord’s table and curtain above the pulpit, both with beautiful embroideries. Eventhough, the house of prayer was later damaged by fires and floods, it was always repaired into its original condition. The walls of the house of prayer also look like white and yellow embroidery. The main entrance is built in the front wall and above it there is a Biblical verse “Come to Me All”. There is also a symbol of a Bible and a chalice. In later years the galleries were added; the organ comes from the year 1881. The rectory near the house of prayer was built as late as after World War II. The original one was taken away by the floods and the other one was hit by a mine during the hard war years.

The congregation also owns a congregation house and it looks after all the buildings with care and attention. The interesting site in Javorník is a Protestant cemetery which was used until the middle of the last century. In its vicinity there is a belfry from the year 1733 which was replacing a church tower; it was not allowed for the Toleration houses of prayer to have a tower. At the same time the belfry was used as an entrance to the cemetery.

We will also mention Hrubá Vrbka, another municipality of the Horňácko Region which has a strong Reformation Protestant tradition. After the declaration of the Toleration Patent the local Protestants joined the Augsburg confession, in the year 1782 the first worship took place and alredy a year later the first Toleration house of prayer was built. The new house of prayer, still following the Toleration regulations, was built in the year 1830 and only during repairs in the 1940s a four-sided clock tower was added. Today, congregations in Hrubá Vrbka and in Velká nad Veličkou form a double congregation.