In the Podbeskydské Hills at the southern edge of the Natural park Kojetín along the brook Zrzávka the municipality Hodslavice is stretching. A road connecting Nový Jičín and Valašské Meziříčí is crossing the village. There is a nice hilly countryside with plenty of forests, fields and meadows. The village is at an altitude of 337 metres and over 1,700 inhabitants live here.
The first records about Hodslavice come from the year 1411 from a time of Lacek’s of Kravaře reign. The traditions in the region were Hussite and Protestant. A memorial small wooden church in Hodslavice is one of the oldest in Moravia. It was built either by the Hussites or by the Unity of Brethren (1551 is usually mentioned as a year of origin). Only later it became a Roman Catholic Church. Post-White-Mountain period brought a hard oppression particularly from the Olomouc Jesuits. Secret Protestants gathered in a small forest Domorac or in Mořkov at the miller’s. In Štramberk they hid the Bible in an apiary.
After a declaration of the Toleration Patent the Protestants joined the Augsburg Confession. The congregation was established in the year 1782 and at the beginning the worship took place in a barn. A small wooden Toleration house of prayer was built already in 1783; this unstable building however did not stand long. In the year 1813 a construction of a new stone house of prayer started. At that time a foundation stone of a church was laid in a small hill above the village. It was solemnly consecrated in the year 1819. In 1851 a quadrilateral tower with a bulbous turret was built above an entrance door. The windows in an apse were broadened. A choir above the entrance dates back to the 19th century. There is an old Protestant school near the former house of prayer. Jiří Palacký directed this school (at the beginning in his own house) from the year 1786. J. Palacký was our famous historian František Palacký’s father.
At the beginning of the 20th century the Protestant school was rebuilt in a congregation house; from outside it was however preserved in its original form. Josef Hromádka was a long-time curator of the congregation in Hodslavice. He was a father of a later significant theologian and professor of the Evangelical Theological Faculty in Prague Josef L. Hromádka. A hall in a congregation house is arranged as its memorial hall. The inhabitants of Hodslavice built a modern rectory in the garden of the congregation in the 1920s.
František Palacký’s native house is nowadays a national cultural monument. Nearby a wooden small church on the small village green there is a monument of Palacký from the year 1948.This monument was made by professor Vladimír Navrátil. In the opposite hill we can see the Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus built in a Neo-Romanesque style in 1907.