The village of Borová lies in the northern edge of the the Žďár Hills, 10 kilometres northwest of Polička at an altitude of around 600 metres. It spreads out along the Černý brook. Some of the houses in Borová have well-preserved features of peasant low houses (of so-called Polička type) where part of the house is made of wood and another is made of bricks.
The wooded landscape around Borová is ideal for summer and winter tourism. The highest mountain of this area is Bethlehem hill (748 metres). There is also a number of interesting historical monuments.
St. Margaret‘s Church and a small settlement nearby were founded by Benedictine Monks in 1349. At the turn of the 16th and the 17th centuries a stone church with a tower which is partly wooden were built here. The Neo-Gothic St. Catherine‘s Church was built in the upper part of the village at the end of the 19th century.
Shortly after issuing the Toleration Patent, in the year 1783 a congregation of Reformed confession was founded in Borová and in a single month (from April till May 1783) a simple house of prayer without a tower was built. Its toleration character (after necessary repairs) is kept until now. Through the entrance which is placed on the lateral side of the building one can enter the prayer room with a pulpit which is on the wider side and has two rows of benches. The galleries, pulpit, Lord‘s table and benches are decorated with simple carvings. The organ dates back to the 19th century. The rectory building was built later and got its current appearance in 1913.
You may find interesting that the family of the former president Masaryk spent their summer holidays in the rectory in Borová. Tereza Nováková placed the story of her novel “Jiří Šmatlán” in Borová and its surroundings and Bohuslav Martinů, at that time 13 years old, made his first appearance as a violinist in the local restaurant ”U Dostálů”.